Sometimes friends can really, truly surprise you. Today was one of those days for me.
After another long day of peering at a mega-spreadsheet, it was finally complete and ready to share with the executive team. A moment to celebrate given all the energy that has been poured into it over the past weeks (months?). My way of celebrating was to take a well earned break and walk away from my desk for once.
Being near the end of the work day and Friday, I wandered into Arizona's office. The rest of the team had ventured out to have a department lunch with our co-worker who was laid off back in February. As much as I would have liked to join in on the festivities, the timing wouldn't allow it. I wanted to find out how she was doing and catch up with Arizona as I really hadn't had much time all week to pause. After briefly sharing how lunch was, it wasn't long before we were sharing stories of working out, aching muscles and results from the workouts. It was within this conversation that Arizona dropped a pretty big (unexpected!) compliment my way.
An instant flush of heat hit me. I was embarrassed, I was grateful, I was surprised by her words. At first, we squabbled a bit about her compliment (okay, I did, and she firmly held her ground!). In the end, there was nothing I could do but say thank you while scratching my head. (After all, in my mind, all I could hear was "really?")
Sometimes the strangest things surface from your friends.
Sometimes it's impossible to argue against their logic.
Sometimes it's just good to take a compliment, even if your friend misses the point of the conversation being about sharing a personal frustration. Her point: I may be personally frustrated, but others tend to be more so. Arizona reminded me to be grateful that I'm not in the "more so" category.
Okay girlfriend. Message received.
Moments being shocked at a compliment.
Moments reminding you why you love your friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment