Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Moments D729: Focused Treatment

Today's moment is all about my shoulder.  It's been giving me grief for nearly 5 weeks now.  It irritates me all day and while I generally get some relief at night there have been a few nights where I wake in the middle of the night from the pain.

I've been good about letting it rest.  I haven't played volleyball in 4 weeks.  That's torturous to me.  I really, REALLY miss playing.  It really hasn't been easy to lay low and let this craziness pass.

Today, I visited my favourite RMT ever.  (Total side bar, but I've followed Sarah throughout her career. If you ever need a good, deep massage, Sarah is the one to connect with!)

Today's appointment was the second in as many weeks in the hope of killing this pain.  This evening Sarah focused 90% on my pained shoulder and neck in the hopes of really digging in and working out the congested muscle tissue.

Wow, what a treat it was to have her so focused on my shoulder and its issues.  We (well, technically she) dug into areas on my arm, armpit and shoulder that we've never before focused on.  It  was interesting to experience the shift in my pains and feel the muscles releasing.  There was much pain, breathing through the pressure points and then relief.  After an hour, it was amazing how much of the overall pain had disappeared.
While I was surprised at the time she spent focused on my should and neck, I was very much appreciating the relief post treatment.  Sarah gave me homework to do to help keep my muscles stretched and open.  The most interesting concept was "nerve flossing".

Yes, that sounds kind of painful, doesn't it?

But it's not, not any  more than a deep stretch can be from time to time.  This was the video I learned from to do my homework.  So far, so good.

Moments appreciating some relief from my pain through treatment.
Moments being thankful for having the ability to seek treatment for my pain.

3 comments:

  1. Where are you ..no. post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! I've been so very VERY busy. Coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your post some time ago..they always gave me a smile !

    ReplyDelete