Saturday, April 5, 2014

Moments D712: Relief

So, I'm still dealing with the pinched nerve in my shoulder/neck.  It hasn't been much fun.  Sleep is short-lived as when I roll over to my side (either!) the pain wakes me.  Sleeping on my back is not natural for me.  It's been challenging.  

Thursday after work, and a day of pain, I thought I'd see if I could get in for another acupuncture treatment.  I've never had an acupuncture treatment with my naturopath and thought to myself, "why not?".  Boy, am I glad that I stepped outside the box a bit.  Honestly, if my naturopath wasn't also practising acupuncture I may never have contacted her.  Shame on me, for her suggestions have offered the most relief and, in the end, I've learned something new.

My ND suggested that I pick up a homeopathic remedy:  Hypericum Perforatum.  This I've never tried before, but it's good for nerve related trauma.  In her words, "it takes the edge off."

She also suggested doing an Epsom salt compress for the tender area as I hadn't been seeing any relief from an Epsom salt bath.  (Again, something that I never thought about doing!)

So Thursday night, I started up with the hypericum perforatum and did my first Epsom salt compress.  The edge was definitely lifting, but there was still a lot of pain.  I can say that I slept deeply for the first time in nearly two weeks.  Friday I found I still had some discomfort, but any time I took the hypericum perforatum the edgy pain noticeably diminished

I've kept up with the prescribed use of the hypericum perforatum through to today and did another Epsom salt compress.

And now, I'm a believer.  Today, not only is the edge gone, but I feel like I have a shoulder and arm again.  (It's been on again/off again numb/tingly.)  I can turn my head side to side nearly completely.  What sweet, sweet relief.  Good thing because I needed to have a productive day to get through a lot of readings for school.  BANGARANG!

All because I connected with my ND for a pinched nerve.  It was random and unexpected to find solutions that were not based in either acupuncture or massage.  Label me impressed.

And my ND did this all over the phone.  I owe her.  Big time.

Moments being shaken out of the box you didn't even know you were in.

Moments finally finding some relief from a pain you've been carrying for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment