Today was an incredible day. It was a day poised to be a celebration love. My younger cousin married the man of her dreams. What a celebration it was with the perfect Jamaican weather.
But, today wasn't all about young love. It was about family. It was about friends. It was about appreciating life; reflecting on the past and dreaming of the future.
And while I wasn't ready for today's moment, the gift shared with me today was the most beautiful gift I've ever received. And with the sharing of this gift, a feel a new tradition was born as well!
EQ shared a unique birthday tradition with my family tonight. He was introduced to it while travelling in Ecuador years ago. The premise is this: Instead of sharing physical gifts with the one celebrating a birthday loved one shared stories of what gifts (physical or otherwise) the birthday person has given them that either touched them deeply or inspired them on some level.
And just like that, after dinner, EQ orchestrated a discussion of gifts shared by the birthday girl to each family member at the table. What an incredible journey that discussion brought! From the adventure of a lifetime, to ancient stories featuring a Christmas ornament, to lighting up a room and teaching compassion. What a journey indeed. It was a tear-inspiring moment, so much so that my dear Big Sis couldn't participate for she was too choked up to do so. Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
It was, by far, the most memorable, touching birthday present I've ever received.
I believe this is a new tradition that shall be instituted in my world. Yes. That seems fitting to who I am and how I see the world.
A present for the moment today, and a present for moments of celebration to come. How's that for digging deeper?
Beautiful!
Moments celebrating family, love, and life.
Moments relishing gifts shared...and shared again.

No comments:
Post a Comment