Monday, January 7, 2013

Moments D257: Grandma's Body wash

Yup. That’s right. You read correctly. I know it sounds odd, but bear with me.

Two years ago in November my Grandmother passed away. The Christmas prior, she gave me a bag full of goodies. One of those goodies was a perfumed body wash from Yves Rocher - Ming Shu. (Also included was body lotion and the perfume itself.)

Now, I don’t particularly like the smell of the perfume which is part of the reason that I still have the body wash. Every now and then I like to use it. This morning was one of those days. I’m not sure what inspired me to grab that particular bottle this morning, but what followed was a bit of an epiphany.

As I squeezed the bottle, I realized that I had had this bottle for over three years. And as that thought crossed my mind, I considered why. Why was it that I held onto this bottle? I didn’t like the perfume. I certainly didn’t need more body wash. I wasn’t even particularly close with my Grandma, so there really isn’t any sentimental value to it being in my possession.

And as those thoughts crossed my mind, I sent a silent prayer to Grandma wishing her well and asking her to watch over my family. I reminded her that my Mom loved her (even though they weren’t close either) and we all hoped she was in a much better place. And then, the moment passed. I was back into my normal morning routine.

For me, it reminded me that life is short. That every day needs to be respected and considered a new canvas to paint upon. We build our days. Our days build our weeks and our weeks fill up months and years. EACH day and more importantly, each step matters.

And so, today I’m reminded, by my Grandmother’s three year old body wash, that time is short, love is endless, and sharing light is my ultimate goal. I will keep that bottle for some time to come. I think it will serve as a good reminder now of just how important it is to greet every day with a fresh eye.

Moments to thank our ancestors.

Moments to be reminded of the importance of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment