My parents always told me to ask the question. No matter what the question, no matter how outlandish the request - ask the question. What's the worst that can happen? In our home - the worst that could happen was the answer no.
Today's moment was born out of this advice. Born from this deeply engrained part of me that won't NOT ask the question. Sometimes this means asking difficult questions. Sometimes this means talking to people that can be challenging and are more often reply negatively.
Today I decided to fight to keep one of our summer students on staff. He had a short-term contract with us to help out with the trade show. His contract expired as of today. This kid is one of the best kids I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He's hard working, motivated and quickly and easily asks for direction when he needs it and more work when he's done. This type of work ethic is a relic of the past and yet there is hope - this student is only 18 years old. With this type of dedication to the job, with his ability to connect with so many people in such a short period of time it's inevitable: He will be incredibly successful no matter what he chooses to do.
I'm certain that if I had I not acted upon the years of "Just ask the question" instilled in me we would have missed out on keeping this wonderful soul on our team.
In the end, Mr. H Jr. will continue on with us for the remainder of the summer. All because I took the time to confirm and double check with the big boss that he had all the information he needed to make a decision. (Obviously that wasn't the case!)
Moments of asking the question.
Moments of believing it is worth fighting for.
No comments:
Post a Comment