This afternoon I headed to Welland so that I could watch my nephew in his hockey tournament. Typically such a visit is quick and I don't have much of a chance to really interact with my brother, SIL or my nephews. I join them at the arena, spend some time with my SIL and younger nephew and then we all go our separate ways. As fast as it is, I am always willing to make the drive, when I can, to cheer on my oldest nephew in the sport he loves.
As I sat enthusiastically cheering on my nephew (playing centre these days) I wondered where he would be in 10 years time. He's only just turn 10, so there are many paths yet before him. Will he still be playing hockey? Would he push himself hard to ever make it to the Olympics? (What can I say? I have the Olympics on my brain!) Or, will he be more focused on learning? Of course, I haven't any answers, but there was that moment today where I was pondering where he might go with his love of hockey. (And boy-oh-boy does he love his hockey!)
While watching my nephew play is best was a heart-warming moment, the real moment today was a surprise family gathering. The entire family was coming back for dinner after the game. Not only my brother and his family, but my Big Sis and her family. There was 11 of us in all. What an incredible dinner it was. Our food was simple, but perfect for the occasion and something we "kids" all love. Spaghetti and meatballs with ceasar salad. The dinner table was filled with fast moving conversations, silliness with my nephews and silliness with my "nieces". Lots of laughter. The only thing missing was my love. (He's in California right now.) I think we all missed him tonight.
I was so very happy that my Mom offered to pull this impromptu dinner together for everyone. I may have only been in Welland for 18 hours, but I managed to see all my peeps.
That was pretty incredible.
Moments appreciating the effort Mom puts in to pull us busy kids together for dinner.
Moments loving and appreciating my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment