This evening I spent at a concert with my 17 year old niece. I found myself in a sea of young adults, some of which were most certainly still going through the last stages of puberty.
It was an amazing moment to share with my niece. We laughed at the pushing crowd (pushier than my hardcore rocking Soundgarden concert goers) and we conspired about flying elbows and gum being dropped in hair. Of course none of that happened! But we giggled about it in whispers.
And as the concert progressed to the most popular of songs by Imagine Dragons, the sea swarmed with cameras and smartphones recording the songs in their entirety. For me, that’s a disconnect between the “here and now” and “capturing a moment”. A moment isn’t the entire concert - it’s snippets of it. I realized years ago that being caught behind a lens all the time takes you out of the moment. A moment that becomes a memory in and of itself. Is it nice to have a couple of pictures to jog your memory? Definitely, but I don’t want to relive entire moments through image. I want them to be deep within me.
The disconnect between self and the world around you.
Are we now more interested in being connected with others through image instead of absorbing the moment within? Hmmm. A question that puzzles me.
Instead of being annoyed or upset that I could no longer see the stage and band through the sea of arms and cameras I closed my eyes and listened. I listened to the intricacies of the band. I listened to the people around me and their reactions to the music. And, I danced. Quietly. By myself. For me, that’s absorbing a moment. Taking it all in. And for me, I will always fondly remember this night, not because of the band, but because it was such a treasured time to spend with my niece.
Moments connecting.
Moments going deeper than the world outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment