Saturday, July 21, 2012

Moments D88: Slobber

First of all, I had a hard time with my title today. I started with “wet balls”….then it was “slimy balls” but in the end, I had to keep it out of the gutter (maybe it was just me?) with simply slobber.

So, today was the first day of our weekend baseball tournament. Today was a lot of fun with many magical and funny and new moments. For example, I met a lot of new great people….I managed a few fun plays (including a fantastic hit that brought in two winning runs!) and I even played some pool and volleyball during the day. BUT it wasn’t about the baseball, nor my team mates that made today so special (and that was a pretty tough bar to get beyond!).

Today’s best moment was a slobbery ball. Yes. It’s when I stopped (paused if you will) from the days activities and banter and really took note of things.

It was after our third and final game of the day. Our team was packing up while another team was warming up on the field. As I was walking back to the parking lot a foul ball popped over the fence and near the stands where a very large german shepherd was trotting about. For a german shepherd, he was quite huge - he stood nearly as tall as my hips. He quickly engulfed the softball with his mouth without any effort at all.

I was closest to the pooch at the time. I love dogs. I’m not afraid of dogs, but this beast…whoa. I carefully approached him and cajoled him into coming towards me and to give me the ball. He was more than happy to drop the ball, but I could tell he was hoping I would toss it for him! As I picked up the very wet, slobbery ball, he watched me intensely. I threw the ball back over the fence and watched as he slumped down to his haunches.

I took another moment or two to console the poor disappointed gent.

It was a moment of connection.

A moment of sharing.

A moment to pause and appreciate, yes even, a slobbery ball.

(And yes - please do have a laugh at me trying to find a decent PC version of a title for this moment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment