Sunday, July 22, 2012

Moments D88.5: Mystery Volleyball Man

I couldn’t help myself. I needed to share another special moment from the weekend.

Yesterday between our 9am and our 10:30am game we had a block of about 30 mins to fill. I brought my volleyball with me in the hopes that I could pepper with someone while we were hanging about.

At first, I played with a couple of team mates, but it wasn’t long before they realized just how much work it was to keep the ball going in the right direction and chasing after those that weren’t perfectly passed. I think in a matter of 5-10 minutes I lost both team mates that were peppering with me to the bench.

Shortly before my team mates bailed on me, there was this young gentleman (who seemingly came out of nowhere) who asked one of my team mates if he could join in on the volleyball. (There were three of us playing at the time, he became the fourth.)

For me, it was obvious that he could play. He and I were digging up the others’ bad passes. When the other two sat down Mr. Mystery Volleyball Man and I kept peppering. We did this for another 20 minutes….right to the time where I was supposed to be out in the field again! I literally dropped my volleyball, thanked him for his time and picked up my baseball glove. Talk about a strange moment! (One that I had to share!)

For the record, I did find out that Jonathan was from Panama, here in Toronto studying English. He lives (and studies) in the area where we were playing ball.

How fortunate I was to have run into a good volleyball player, randomly, at a baseball tournament to help me pass the time in a way I love most.

Thank you universe.

Moments of synchronicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment