This evening EQ and I tried our best to get into a very intimate concert with Foy Vance. Today's moment is inspired by this tale.
We were recently introduced to Foy's music by a friend of mine living in the UK and Foy's work has very much touched us, both as individuals and as a couple.
How incredible to find out, only a week ago, that Foy Vance was playing in Toronto while EQ was here. We simply had to get tickets. Of course, the very small venue at The Drake was sold out long ago.
I searched the online scalper sites. I posted wanted ads online. I reached out to my contacts to see if anyone could shake out a couple of tickets for us. Silence. We even had a contact who works at the Drake unable to get extra tickets for us. So, we did what any sane couple in love with the music would do -we went down to The Drake and hoped that someone would be selling tickets at the door.
We decided to have dinner there. Our server was incredible. He laughed when we asked for a "dessert" of tickets for the show. With such a small venue, the hotel and restaurant were not party to tickets. Sadly, we were not so fortunate to find anyone selling as the show inched nearer and we even tried to bribe the guy at the door to let us in. No luck!
BUT - all was not lost. I realized on our drive home from the venue that EQ and I had enjoyed a really delightful (unexpected) dinner at the Drake. I've never eaten there before, so it was a new experience for me too. His company and conversation filled my soul. I also realized that I was more than content to enjoy Foy Vance's album on the drive home and share more love and laughter between just the two of us on the drive back and for the rest of the evening. So, in the end, even though there was no live Foy for us tonight, EQ and I enjoyed the moment we found ourselves in. Sometimes that's all that really matters.
Moments waiting in anticipation for something.
Moments realizing that slipped expectations can turn into other beautiful moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment