Thursday, October 6, 2011

Allergic Reactions & Reflections

This week has been a strange, surreal kind of week for me.  From an allergic reaction to hair dye (yes it's official, I won't be dying my hair again any time soon!) to my Dad being in the hospital for an emergency surgery.


You wouldn't think the two things are related, but they really are.  I mean, to what point do we chase keeping our youth?   After reading about the dangers of dark hair dyes in the market, I think it's time for me to give up the chase.  My Mom looks FANTASTIC with her silver hair and I know a few other women who rock it out too.  Is white really the new black? It seems I'm not alone with this creeping allergy to permanent hair dyes.  I didn't have such an extreme reaction as some, but I did end up with a rash on my forehead and swollen lymph nodes.  Seriously.  Scary and worth pause.



My occipital lymph nodes were VERY swollen and I'm sure a few in my neck were as well.  It's been 5 days since I dyed my hair, and my occipital lymph nodes are still swollen.  Thankfully, they are starting to return back to normal, but it's still 5 days of torturing my lymph nodes.  When one's lymph nodes get angry because you are looking for cooler hair, well, I think it's time to take a step back and reflect on things.  One's lymph nodes are designed to fight foreign particles out of one's body.  They are one of the first line of defence for pathogens, infections and germs.  This is not something I want to be messing up!  I guess I'm going to have to go back to my natural colour.  Who the heck knows what colour that even is!  Then again, maybe I'll do a little research on more natural hair dyes.  I'm not certain I'm ready to cold cold turkey.  In the meantime, I'm also searching for ways to help support my struggling lymph nodes. Stay tuned!  

Fast forward to Tuesday morning when my Dad was admitted into the the hospital dealing with an emergency surgery.   Seeing your father lying in the ICU is a scary place to be.  This is a situation that causes you to take pause and reflect on one's life.  

I've had two opportunities this week to really reflect upon what's really important in my life.  Thankfully, I'm surrounded by many loving souls that easily remind me.  Family.  Friends.   So here's a shout out to those that have sent their prayers, positive energy and love to my family and I.  

Then, Steve Jobs passed away and the internet lit up with some of his favourite quotes.  One in particular really stood out to me.  This was part of Steve Jobs' address to the graduating class at Stanford University….

"Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

May you all sleep well tonight knowing that you've had a moment to pause and reflect upon your life and find what is truly important to you.  Follow your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment