Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Comfort Food in a Vegetarian Suit

It's the season for comfort foods and as much as I love my comfort foods, it's never a bad thing when you can find a more healthy version of an old-time favourite.

But come on.  How could anyone take a Vegetarian "Meatloaf" seriously?  Really?  Is it possible to give you that warm comfort feeling?

Well, hubby and I have made this recipe more than once.  It started with a need to find something insteresting/fun for our vegetarian friends.  But it's more serious now.  We've made it a couple of times for ourselves too!  I guess that means that it's a good recipe to share!  Not only that, it's dead easy and quick to pull together.  With only 283 calories per serving, it's a win-win-win!

I'll break it out for you here:

INGREDIENTS:
1 (16 ounce) carton cottage cheese

4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2-2 1/2 cups corn flakes (I use Special K Whole Grain)
1/4 cup chopped onion

DIRECTIONS:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.   Grease a loaf pan.
3.   In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, vegetable oil, soup mix, walnuts, cereal and onion.
4.   Spoon into prepared pan.
5.   Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
6.   Let the 'roast' rest for 5 to 10 minutes; turn out onto serving platter.

Yes, it really is that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment