Monday, October 3, 2011

Speed, Velocity and Acceleration - Revisiting the past

Yesterday my 16 year old cousin asked if I could help with her grade 11 physics as she's been finding it difficult.  I thought, "sure, why not?".  (I  used to be terrified of physics too but I slowly learned to love it as I dug into its details.)

As a side bar and from a personal perspective, I think it's a girl thing.  When I was a wee lass, physics simply wasn't a subject that girls were supposed to love or even be interested in.  Still, I am somewhat surprised that my cousin is going through similar feelings some 20+ years later.

Earlier today I received a scanned copy of her last test focused on Speed, Velocity and Acceleration.   Talk about a blast from the past.  I haven't seen Position-Time graphs or Velocity-Time graphs in years.  The first thing I did was a quick google to help refresh my memory on the concepts.  Three physics websites later and I realize just how different the world of education is these days.

In the past parents did their best to fight through strange material that they wouldn't have had access to in their own education.  (My Mom and Dad weren't always able to help me with my high school home work, but they always did their best!)  Now, there are so many websites that offer additional perspectives and better yet, there are Youtube videos that will walk you through examples.    Incredible really.    Why aren't all students using these available resources and learning pushing through the tougher subjects with relative ease?

Well, I can tell you, that part of it is focus and drive.  My tutorial session this evening was cancelled as my cousin was heading out to a movie with her family instead of doing her homework and preparing for her test tomorrow.  Curiously, Mom is okay with this.

So, we live in a world with more resources at our fingertips, but we're too busy to utilize them.  What a strange conundrum.

Well, at least I've done my homework and I'm ready for a tutorial session.  Now I'll get back to my own homework and try to figure out what to do with the "Expected Utility of Wealth" formulas that we discussed in my own class today.
Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment